Wednesday, April 6, 2016

I Tried to Become a Writer

Unlike many people, I actually enjoyed writing as a child. In fact, I'm pretty sure if someone had asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I'd say an author. From writing bizarre stories about the secret lives of my pets, to documenting the mundane activities of my family members, I always relished capturing moments on paper. However, as I matured, I somehow lost this interest for writing I had once possessed.

In Lorrie Moore's "How to Become a Writer," Francie considers herself destined to become a writer. The story literally opens with, "first, try to be something, anything, else" (119). Over the course of the story, we see Francie struggling with this fate. She tries to go to college as a psychology major, yet somehow ends up in a Creative Writing class. She starts writing, but no one even likes her work anyways. I found this sad, because she seems to become depressed as a result. However, what made her actions admirable to me was her persistence. Eventually, her whole life turns into a source of inspiration for her actual works. Though I saw some similarities between me and Francie, I think we also have several key differences between us.

As opposed to Francie, I seem to have come to terms with the fact that I will not become a professional writer anytime soon. While it would be really cool to become the next J.K. Rowling, I don't think I have the diligence required to make that happen. Additionally, whenever I wrote as a child, it was mostly for fun. If I am required to write stories for a class that meet a certain deadline and length requirement, I can't focus on the content at hand as well. (The fact that this blog is late is probably indicative of that, too.) What makes Francie such an admirable character, then, is her disregard for the rules as she continues to write her wacky stories.

One thing that also came into my mind as we were discussing "How to Become a Writer" was whether or not Francie's work was actually any good. Even though Lorrie Moore's story was very successful and we all seemed to enjoy it, a few of us were quick to assume that Francie eventually became successful, too. Nothing in the story hints at such a future, and her stories are honestly pretty weird. In this sense, I wonder if the criticism she was getting from the people around her was close-minded, or actually true. Then again, the story is called "How to Become a Writer," and depending on our definition of "Writer," this could very well mean she eventually became successful, or at least happy with where she is. Overall, this story really made me rethink what it means to become a writer, and how little input writers can have in their destinies.

6 comments:

  1. I totally identify with this, Pauline! As a kid, I always wanted to be a writer. I wrote all the time and was even a member of a weekly writing club (with Lilly!). However, reading "How to Become a Writer" made me glad I don't want to be a writer anymore. It just seems like such a challenging and isolating profession, and I'm relieved that I don't have such a difficult path ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read this story, I too wonder about the issue of whether Francie's stories are "any good"--how much should we credit the puzzled, blank looks she gets from her teachers and classmates? In some ways, the constant refrain about how she has no sense of plot *does* seem to reflect criticism Moore must have heard at various points in her own early career, with her unconventional narrative styles. But Francie's violent storylines, with old people killing each other in ornate and bizarre ways, doesn't sound anything like Moore's style, and it's hard to tell where the satire is directed--at the other creative-writings students, or at the writer herself (or both)? We'd read the story quite differently if the "you" were writing formally experimental second-person narratives with plots that run backward. It would seem much more like Moore representing her own artistic vision. Here, she seems to be parodying the writer as well as those who don't "get" her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Pauline! When I read this story, I knew that I probably didn't want to become a writer (the story didn't change my views). However, it did make me appreciate the persistence and patience that writing requires. I respected Francie for writing stories her way, even though other people didn't always like her stories and for choosing the career that made her happy, despite what her mom thought was best for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Pauline this is hilarious. I think a lot of people can echo in the sentiments of aspiring to be a writer at a young age. I know for myself I have journals upon journals filled with painstakingly cheezy stories and overly sentimental poems. At the time, writing wasn't painful or dreadful as the narrator in "How to be a writer" describes. Maybe when writing goes from a hobby to a profession/a study/an obligation is where people tend to fall of the boat of wanting to be a writer? Let me know if you agree/disagree

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Moore paints a very relatable picture in that, when writing by yourself, you pretty much think that your style and plot are the shit. But, once other people read your work, and proceed to tear it down, seemingly unhappy with your writing style, you become sort of hurt in a way. I know when I used to write when I was younger, (I too wrote stories about animals!), I would never share my work with anyone because then they might think it wasn't good. It wasn't until I finally showed my father one of my works that I was faced with the difficult truth...my writing did not make sense to him. Moore helps us realize how much negativety a writer must tune out in order to reach their endless goal. After hearing my dad's comment, I pretty much gave up creative writing (thanks dad...) because I didn't want to change my style, but I also wanted people to enjoy my work. The narrator in Moore's story sticks to her guns, which is what makes her such a strong writer, even if only she can appreciate her work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In general response to lots of the already-posted comments, I wouldn't take "How to become a writer" as a universal case of "how to become a writer". It's a PARTICULAR WAY that a PARTICULAR PERSON became a writer.

    If you want a general guide to "How to become a writer", it would be a single sentence rather than a short story... or, rather, it would be a single word: Write.

    Why would you let a single person's experience of becoming a writer discourage you from pursuing that field?

    ReplyDelete